The Block Builder is similar to a page builder and is used to create or edit Blocks which in turn can be added to any page you want using the Layouts Builder in Design > Blocks.
Blocks can be one element or multiple elements in multiple rows and columns. These elements are called widgets and you can add them to columns.
Columns can be adjusted by dragging left and right the 3 dot vertical button, and, by adjusting their size, you can create different sized columns, whether equal or unequal sizes.
At this moment, the Block Builder can only be accessed in the Layouts Builder by clicking on a Block that has the word "Block Builder" in it.
We will be launching this, with its own menu item, in the coming months as we finalise working on it.
Here's an example:
While the Block Builder will have a menu item of its own under Design, the current way to access it is in Design > Theme Settings > Layouts Builder. Click on any of the sidebar items that have the words Block Builder. A pop-up opens. This is the Block Builder. This is how you would work in there to create a layout/block.
- Click on Create Block or edit a current one.
- Change status to Enabled.
- In Block name, type a relevant name. For example, if you want to set up a widget that displays your subcategories on a left sidebar, you can name it: Subcategories widget - left sidebar.
- Scroll down to Build a layout.
- Click on the big Plus icon.
- Hover over the new row that appears and, on the top left, you'll see a blue button "Add Column". Click that button. You can click it multiple times to create more columns but you usually only need one for a sidebar.
- Hover over the new white column and you'll see a blue button to the right of it, "Add Widget". Click that button. A pop-up opens.
- Click on the Widgets tab.
- Going by our example to set up subcategories, in the search field, type "cate" and you'll now see all the possible categories and subcategories that you can add. Even if it says categories, it might allow you to add subcategories, so you can add the different widgets using the same instructions above to experiment with them to see which one(s) you like the most. All of them have their own settings.
- When you add a widget and save, the pop-up for that widget closes. To get back in there to edit its settings, you can hover over that widget and click the cog icon. If you can't scroll down to see all of its settings the first time you add it (as this is still a work in progress), then click the save button to close that pop-up, and then edit the widget again. This time, you'll be able to scroll down.
- Make sure to save each time. The way to save is that green Save button, which saves that widget, but to save the whole "Block Builder" area, scroll up and you'll see a green disk icon, click that to save.
Then, navigate to your Design > Theme Settings > Layouts Builder and find the new Subcategories block builder that you created (based on the name you chose), and then drag it to the column left, which is your left sidebar. Click the Save button on top.
Now, you can scroll back down the Layouts Builder to your new block and click it. This time, any edits you do and save in that pop-up only will be saved, so you won't need to re-add it to the Layouts Builder.